How long do steel structures last?
If you make use of a reputable steel building company like Pretorius Structures, you can expect your steel structure to last anything between 50 to 100 years, and even more if maintained and looked after in the proper manner.
Read more below about how you can help your steel structure to last as long as possible, the benefits of steel structures and why you can rely on Pretorius Structures to design and construct your steel building.
How to maintain your steel structure for lasting results
If you want your steel structure to last as long as possible, there are a few important measures you can implement to ensure the longevity of your structure after construction.
- Regular inspection: Inspect the structure on a regular basis to check for any weaknesses, areas that require attention. The early identification of any problems will allow you to maintain and fix it, before it gets too big.
- Preventative maintenance: Make sure to fix any issues, no matter how small, as soon as detected. This will ensure that the problem doesn't grow even bigger, that can compromise the integrity of the structure, and result in large unnecessary costs.
- Trees and surrounds: Trim any trees or bushes that can cause damage to the structure over time. Trees and large bushes can damage your structure with its branches, the roots and excessive moisture.
- Keep it clean: Make sure to wash the structure regularly (about once a year at least) to remove debris, fungus that can cause decay of the material.
- Protect against moisture: Moisture can be detrimental to the structure. Water that builds up on or around your structure can cause rust, bent panels and deteriorate the foundation. Ensure proper drainage of rainwater and that your foundation it protected against build-up.
The benefits of steel structures
Steel is a popular material used in the construction of commercial, industrial and agricultural buildings the benefits of steel that aid in its popularity, include:
- Strong and durable material
- Excellent strength to weight ratio
- Versatile in use
- Resistant against fire
- Resistant against pests
- 100% recyclable
- Your structure will last for many years.
About Pretorius Structures
Steel Structures company in South Africa – If you need to erect a steel structure, Pretorius Structures can provide you with the services you require. Pretorius Structures provide quality steel structures for use in commercial, agricultural and industrial environments. You can rely on our team to provide your with structures of excellent quality, that meet your specifications and needs. We can assist with standard portal frame steel structures as well as custom-built steel buildings.
If you need to erect a steel building, get in touch with the team at Pretorius Structures today.